- Toga Shrine Okumiya in the fog
- What kind of shrine is "Toga Shrine Okumiya" (Toyokawa City)?
- There are other gods like this in this shrine
- Natural monument (designated by Aichi Prefecture, June 7, 1972) -Shaso(社叢) and Goshinboku(御神木)
- Is there a parking lot?
- Is there a restroom nearby?
- What kind of god is " Ō(a)namuchi-no-Mikoto(大己貴命)" in the first place?
- Ōkuninushi with many aliases
- Okuninushi's wives and their children
- About Mythology
- Shrine information (transportation access)
- At the end
- Recommended favorite video (youtube)
Toga Shrine Okumiya in the fog
What kind of shrine is "Toga Shrine Okumiya" (Toyokawa City)?
Toga Shrine Okumiya is located near the top of Hongūsan, which is called "Senko(千古） no Kamiyama(神山)".
Ancient ritual sites (Iwakura 磐座) are scattered around this area, and it is recalled that the god festival has been held since ancient times. From that form of worship, it is considered that the creation of Toga Shrine began here in Hongūsan .
The natural forest near the summit is lined with large trees for nearly a thousand years, and hundreds of types of vegetation flourish in the sanctuary that has been protected since ancient times, making it a natural monument designated by Aichi Prefecture.
【From the parking lot placket sign】
Toga Shrine Okumiya(砥鹿神社奧宮),Mikawa Koku Ichinomiya (三河国一宮)
Aichi, Toyokawa, Kaminagayama(上長山)-cho, Hongushita−４
[Special Shinto ritual(特殊神事)]
- January 6th Hōin(宝印)Festival (Mori mi den Shrineannual festival)
Worshipers is prayed for being healthy without getting sick, and is awarded the secret "Hōin(宝印)stamp" and "Hōin(宝印)sticker".
- January 15th Kayuurasai(粥占祭)
Agricultural Shinto ritual fortune-telling the abundance of agricultural products and the weather.Since ancient times, it has been called "Otamesh" and "Okudagai", and attendees are awarded Kayu ura.
- October 14th (Arahaneki Shrine annual festival)
It is clear from the "Sha-den (社伝)" that the creation of "Hongūsan Toga Shrine Okumiya" was enshrined before "Emperor Monmu (文武天皇)Taihō (大宝 )Year" (before about 1,300 years).
Hongūsan's beautiful mountain view and the forest that covers the entire mountain, which is located at 789.2m above sea level, has long been regarded as a sacred area of Tokai Musou.
It is the Okumiya of Toga Shrine, which is widely respected as the god of breeding and the guardian deity of the country, and was listed as the only "Kokuhei Shosha" in Mikawa Province by the "Kansei (government system)" in 1884.
The god's virtues are shining brightly, blessing disaster relief, traffic safety, etc.
【From shrine's historywriting】
There are other gods like this in this shrine
Mori mi den Shrine(守見殿神社)
Ōnamuchi-no-Mikoto (大己貴命)Nigi mitama(和魂)
The heart becomes rich and clean. Control and protect various plagues and disasters.
January 6th / Monthly 6th（Monthly festival月次祭）
Ara habaki Shrine(荒羽々気神社)
Ōnamuchi-no-Mikoto (大己貴命)Ara mitama(荒魂)
Protects correct courage and physical health (healthy legs)
October 14th/ Monthly 14th（Monthly festival月次祭）
Family harmoniousAnd protect the path of dear friendship of Tomo and be guided.
October 28th/ Monthly 28th（Monthly festival月次祭）
*There is also an article about the deity of the eight pillar shrines.If you don't mind, please take a look here.>> 【What kind of god is the god of the eight pillar shrine in the first place? Japanese version】
Natural monument (designated by Aichi Prefecture, June 7, 1972) -Shaso(社叢) and Goshinboku(御神木)
This Shaso is a natural forest that has been protected as a sanctuary since ancient times, and is lined with giant sugi trees.
The Goshinboku sugi, known as "Hongūsan-Tengu-no-yadorigi", has a root circumference of 11 meters, a tree circumference of 6 to 5 meters, and a tree height of about 30 meters, and is about 1,000 years old.
【Quoted from the signboard】
Is there a parking lot?
Enter the parking lot from "Hongusan Skyline".
For those who can walk from the mountain trail (Omotesando) from the trailhead at the foot of the mountain, the "Hongūsan Walking Center" is recommended.
There are also several parking lots near the trailhead. It seems that there are places where you can park conditionally. Preliminary research is required.
Is there a restroom nearby?
Drinking water vending machines, public toilets, and rest areas are installed near the summit of Toga Shrine Okumiya.However, the toilet is available or poorly remembered.
I've used it, but I don't know if it's always available.
We hope that word-of-mouth information will reach you.
What kind of god is " Ō(a)namuchi-no-Mikoto(大己貴命)" in the first place?
"Ō(a)namuchi-no-Mikoto(大己貴命)" is another name for "Ōkuninushi".
Ōkuninushi is a representative god of Kunitsukami that appears in Japanese mythology, and is considered to be the presiding god of Kunitsukami.
A god with many aliases, it is enshrined nationwide and is also the deity of Izumo Taisha and Ōmiwa Shrine.
In the Kojiki, Ōnamuji / Ōkuninushi is the son of the god Ame-no-Fuyukinu (天之冬衣神) and his wife, Sashikuniwakahime (刺国若比売). The thus portrays him as a sixth-generation descendant of the god Susanoo.
After marrying Suseri-hime no Mikoto, the daughter of Susanoo-no-Mikoto, he managed the world in cooperation with Sukuna bi kona, teaching the way of Majinai (禁厭) and medicine,etc.
By enshrining Omononushikami (Omononushikami), we completed the nation-building of "Ashihara no Nakatsu".
However, it is said that the messenger of Amaterasu Omikami from Takamagahara requested the transfer of the country, and after negotiations with dialogue and armed forces, he became the lord of the unseen world (幽世 kakuriyo).
At the time of the transfer of the country, Tianjin God promised to restore the large palace (Izumo Taisha), which was built by Susanoo-no-Mikoto. , The name at this time is also called "Kizuki Okami(杵築大神)".
Has the faces of God of national land development, god of Majinai (禁厭), god of medicine, god of marriage, etc., and is good at Traffic safety, Family luck prospers, elimination of troubles, etc.
It is also admired as "Daikokusama" and is revered as a god of good fortune.
【Ōkuninushi - WikipediaQuote(引用)】<<Click here for details
【What kind of god is Okuninushi in the first place?Japanese version(引用)Quote】<<Click here if you are interested
Ōkuninushi with many aliases
- Ōkuninushi-no-kami(大国主神)〜Name after returning from "Ne-no-kuni" （Meaning of "master of a great country"）
- Ōanamuchi / Ōanamuji / Ōnamuji-no-Kami(大穴牟遅神)・Ōnamuchi-no-(大己貴命・大汝命)・於褒婀娜武智・Ōanamochi-no-(大穴持命)・Ōnamochi-no-(大名持神)・Kunitsukuri Ōnamuchi-no-(国作大己貴命)〜Name after birth（Meaning of "great, (Kō ketsu鉱穴)(kijin貴人)）
- Yachihoko-no-(八千矛神)〜Name in the song story with Nunakawa Hime(沼河比売)（Meaning of "many halberds"）
- Ashihara-no-Shikoo(葦原色許男・葦原醜男・葦原志許乎/葦原志挙乎命)〜Name with contempt in "Ne-no-kuni"（The meaning of "an ugly man in a real country on earth"）
- Ōmononushi-no-(三諸神・大物主神)・八戸挂須御諸命/大物主葦原志許〜In "Kojiki", another god、In Nihon Shoki, another name after the transfer of the country（Meaning of "Lord of the Great Spirit"）
- Utsushikunitama-no-(宇都志国玉神)・顕国玉神〜Name after returning from Ne-no-kuni（Meaning of "the (shinrei神霊) spirit of the real country"）
- Ōkunitama-no-(大国魂神) 〜Be equated at various shrines（Meaning of "shinrei (神霊)of a great country"）
- Iwa Ōkami(伊和大神)・国堅大神・占国之神・大神 〜"Iwa Shrine" main god-Name in "Harima no Kuni (播磨国) Fudoki (風土記)"
- Ame-no-Shita-Tsukurashishi-Ōkami (所造天下大神)〜Honorific title in "Izumonokuni (出雲国) Fudoki (風土記)"（The meaning of "the god who created the land of the earth"）
- 地津主大己貴神・Kuni tsukuri ō na muchi no kami(国作大己貴神)〜Norito(祝詞)Name in "Da iko kujin Kinoe ne noshi yu kuji(大国神甲子祝詞)"
- Kakuriyo-no-Ōkami(幽世大神)〜Norito(祝詞)Name in "Yū meishin go(幽冥神語)"
- Kakuri goto shiroshimesu ookami(幽冥主宰大神) 〜The meaning of "God who presides over Yū meikai(幽冥界)"
- Kidzuki no ookami(杵築大神)
【Ōkuninushi - WikipediaQuote引用】
Okuninushi's wives and their children
Okuninushi has many wives.There are also many children.The number of children is written as 180 Hashira (柱) in "Kojiki" and 181 Hashira (柱) in "Nihon Shoki".
【Ōkuninushi - WikipediaQuote引用】
Speaking of Japanese mythology, "Kojiki" and "Nihonshoki" are famous, but here we will describe "Kojiki".As for Okuninushi, the four episodes in "Kojiki" are famous.
- The White Hare of Inaba
- Attempts on Ōnamuji's life（Persecution of the eighty gods・Visit to Ne-no-kuni・Questioning the wife of Okuninushi）
- Okuninushi's nation-building
I have omitted these episodes. It's a very interesting episode, so I'm sorry I couldn't tell you, but it's a typical story of "Kojiki", so it's not difficult to find out. I recommend Wikipedia.
Click here if you are interested>>【Ōkuninushi - Wikipedia】
Shrine information (transportation access)
From the Tomei Expressway Toyokawa IC, take National Highway 151 toward Shinshiro, then take National Highway 301 toward Tsukude and connect to "Hongusan Skyline (free of charge from February 1, 2006)". You can go to the parking lot of Toga Shrine. About 8 minutes on foot from there
[On foot (mountain trail from the foot of the mountain)]
At the foot of the mountain on the south side (Toyokawa City), there is a "Honguyama Walking Center", from which you can climb Omotesando.
- About 10 minutes by car from the Tomei Expressway Toyokawa IC to "Honmiyayama Walking Center". There are several parking lots besides the walking center.
- About 20 minutes from Toyohashi Station on the JR Iida Line to Nagayama Station. About 20 minutes on foot from Nagayama Station to "Honguyama Walking Center".
- From Toyokawa Station on the JR Iida Line, take the Toyokawa City Community Bus bound for "Honmiya no Yu" for 19 minutes and get off at the "Walking Center" bus stop (you can also get on at Toyohashi Station).
【本宮山 (岡崎市・豊川市・新城市) - WikipediaQuote引用】
At the end
Hongūsan has long been worshiped as a mountain where gods live and is treated as a sanctuary.
It is one of the few places in the prefecture where anyone can feel that this place is a sanctuary.
The weather in Hongūsan is natural for climbers, but it changes every time you visit.It's almost as if you're being asked whether or not to step into the sanctuary.
At Toga Shrine Okumiya on that day, the fantastic sight of the fog made me feel even more mysterious, and I felt once again that Hongūsan was worshiped as a mountain where God lives.
I recommend you to visit!
Recommended favorite video (youtube)
I like this video very much. Easy to understand and interesting!Only the Japanese version is available, but I think you can enjoy the video .Please watch it.
[Mahoroba Channel(まほろばチャンネル)] youtube Kojiki 5 ~ Okuninushi ~ Inaba's White Rabbit, Red Boar, Okuninushi's Trials
Ōkuninushi is called by many names and It will appear with a different name each time it overcomes trials.
Here, it appears under the name of Ōnamuchi (大己貴・大穴牟遅).There were many brother gods in this Ōnamuchi,
They declined to rule their country and handed over their sovereignty to Ōnamuchi.The reason for this was as follows.
In Inaba no Kuni, there was a princess named Yagamihime (八上比売) who is famous as a beautiful woman.The gods of the brothers all went to Inaba to propose.
Ōnamuchi served as a luggage carrier for the gods of brothers.Along the way, I meet a rabbit that suffers from peeling rawhide.
In the story of the rabbit, he tried to trick the crocodile into crossing the sea in order to cross the sea from Okishima to the mainland, but he was noticed on the way and the rawhide was stripped off.
After that, as the brothers' gods said, I tried to wash it in the sea and then dry it in the wind, but the pain worsened.
Ōnamuchi taught the rabbit how to treat it, and the rabbit recovered from the injury.
With gratitude, I predicted that "Yagamihime would choose Ōnamuchi."
The brothers' gods were furious at being rejected by Yagamihime and attempted to conspire to kill him.
Ōnamuchi is killed twice, but revived by the power of the Mother Goddess.
In order to escape from the gods of the brothers, I headed to the "Ne-no-kuni" where Susanō lives.
Ōnamuchi went through various trials given by Susanō, married Susanō's daughter Suseri-hime, and Ōnamuchi has been renamed to "Ōkuninushi" and "Utsushikunitama -no-Kami".
Ōkuninushi uses Susanoo's weapons to defeat his brother's gods,and became the ruler of “Ashihara no Nakatsu”.